Guest Post: Rebecca Lately

Now that I'm in the middle of my closet clean-out, I realized I needed some tips on just how to rebuild my wardrobe. I quickly thought of Rebecca Lately and her Thrifty Thursday series, so I wrote her a quick note and begged her to come share her wisdom. Without further ado...

~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, everyone!  I'm Rebecca, and I blog over at Rebecca Lately.  My blog focuses on fashion, beauty and, most importantly, thrifting!  My thrifting posts go up every Thursday, wherein I highlight some of the items I've picked up at my local Goodwill store.  I also throw in thrifting tips that I've learned along the way.

Thrifting can be daunting and overwhelming.  I made a lot of 'mistakes' when I started shopping at Goodwill and other local thrift stores.  I hope my tips will give you some confidence to get out there and find some awesome deals!


Try on, try on, try on!  I used to say "Don't shed a thread at the Goodwill," but I've since gotten over that.  Buying ill-fitting items will cure your fear of the dressing rooms.  Unless you feel SUPER confident about your size in a particular brand, I advise to always try items on before purchasing them.

Have an idea of what you're looking for on the racks.  Thrifting in racks and racks of clothing is distracting.  One minute you're looking for white pants, the next minute you're gazing at a polka dot skirt and have forgotten all about what you went there for.  80% of the time, I thrift with a specific mission.  The other 20% is spent wandering aimlessly and losing track of time.  Cause that's fun, too.


Don't get excited about brands.  For real.  It is SUPER exciting to find a J. Crew item or even an Oscar de la Renta skirt (true story.  sadly, it wasn't my size), but ask yourself if you really like it because of the brand (and cheap price) OR if you like it because you'll wear it forever.  Chances are, if you buy things strictly for the label, you won't wear it very long before it takes up permanent residence in the back of your closet.

So... the smell of Goodwill ... or all thrift stores, for that matter.  It's a little weird, isn't it?  I finally figure out what it is -- all the different smells of laundry detergents/fabric softeners/etc. on the clothes mingle and mix and become the smell we all know as THAT THRIFT STORE STENCH.  Don't be alarmed.  Just wash your purchased items when you get home and it'll smell like your clothes in no time.


I would suggest knowing your size in major brands, like J. Crew or whatever brands you love.  It will make it easier to thumb through the racks and spot things that are more likely to fit you.

As far as cleaning the items you find, I suggest washing the clothing items according to the tags.  If it says dry clean, dry clean it.  If it says hand wash, hand wash it.  I'm pretty finicky about washing my second hand items, because they've already been through the wringer once!  For shoes, I will either wipe down the outside with a wet cloth (as long as their not suede or something like that) or with a little alcohol wipe.  For the insides of shoes, I will wipe them down with vinegar.

And there you have it!  Those are my thrifting tips in a nut shell.  I share a new one every Thursday over on my blog, and I hope you'll check it out!
Posted on October 2, 2013 .