I'm a glass half full kind of person, most of the time. But sometimes (just like everyone else out there) I have a bad day for no real reason. Nothing specifically goes wrong, but nothing goes right either. I notice I'm cranky, or being short with someone, and then I feel guilty for acting that way, and instead of improving my mood, it worsens it. I'm super lucky that these days are few and far between, but let me tell you - they still really really suck. Yesterday was one of those days.
I had a normal post planned for today (with an awesome new wood watch!) but that's going to have to wait until tomorrow because when I woke up this morning, I felt really motivated to write down some tricks to turn a bad day around - and to ask you what your tricks are. Here are some of my favorites:
- Call a friend. This one is huge for me, but often hard to do because I know my friends are busy at work during a bad day. But man, calling a friend and just asking about her life, her day, her adorable baby - these things totally lift my mood. And on the off-chance she also had a bad day, it can totally distract me from my own!
- Declutter/Clean. Not one I often reach for, but yesterday I did, and man, it helped. I cleaned the entire office, which had been storing all of our wine bottle candle supplies and wedding packing material. Such a mess. But now I'm sitting in a clean office starting my workday, and man that feels good.
- Exercise. Travis and I have a massage membership to a local spa, and we had a massage booked for last night. I was so tempted to take it, but when I saw there was room in a barre class, he went to the massage and I went and worked out. I'm sure I picked the right one to help clear my head and work on my body all at the same time.
- Treat yourself. During the 4hb you don't eat fruit, except for on cheat day. I made an exception yesterday and had a handful of cherries. Super sweet and delicious and ripe and such a nice (and still healthy) treat. Oh, and I bought myself flowers too.
- Take a nap. This is usually my go-to. I take a little coffee nap (if you're not familiar, read this!) and when I wake up, it's like starting a new day. Whatever happened before doesn't get to be a part of the day that starts after the nap. And if the bad day was in part caused by lack of sleep and low energy, this definitely helps!
Those are just a few of my favorites, and I want to know yours in the comments. Not that I'm planning on having another bad day anytime soon, but just in case... :)
Oh! And check out this photo I found while cleaning the office yesterday - this old gem was taken in December 2006 right after I returned from studying abroad in Argentina. Trav and I didn't date in college (or anytime between ages 14 and 26), but we may have gotten caught sneaking a kiss from time to time.